ISRAELI FRONTLINE is non-profit.
This weblog is rewarded for each click, so please visit our advertisers to see what they are offering. Thank you!
All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author, with the exception of opinions expressed in links that appear on this site and with the exception of comments written by viewers whose opinions may not necessarily reflect the author's. All original material is copyrighted and property of the author, and is not to be used without permission, unless it is attributed to this weblog (with a hyperlink to http://israeli-frontline.com/, or to the particular article shown in this weblog). All emails and messages containing public news and information are presumed to be for publication on this site, unless otherwise specified. I reserve the right to delete comments that I find to be offensive in nature, inappropriate or irrelevant to the content of this weblog. Michelle Cohen, Creator of ISRAELI FRONTLINE---------------------------------------------------------------- © 2010 - 2014 ISRAELI FRONTLINE - All Rights Reserved.
Today's Top Headlines, Videos, Analysis and Opinion / / HOME PAGE

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Israeli aircraft strike Gaza sites

Israeli Police expert carrying the remains of a rocket launched by Gaza terrorists into Netivot
Source: Reuters


(Reuters) - Israeli aircraft struck three times in Gaza in the early hours of Tuesday morning, hitting a weapons storage facility and two rocket launching sites used by militants, the military said in a statement.

As a growing crisis in the Gaza Strip moved into a fifth day, the Israeli army said it had scored direct hits on the targets. No casualties were reported in the strikes which caused loud explosions.


Israel warned that it would hit hard at Palestinian militants who launch rockets into the Jewish state.

The militants indicated late on Monday that they were ready for a truce but there was no immediate response from Israel.

Leaders of Hamas, the Islamist faction that controls Gaza, met with Islamic Jihad and other groups and said they would respond according to the way Israel acted - a formulation used in previous flare-ups to offer a ceasefire.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was to convene a forum of nine senior ministers later on Tuesday to decide a course of action. Israel Radio said Netanyahu had met Defence Minister Ehud Barak and military chief Lieutenant General Benny Gantz on Monday night to present possible attack scenarios.

Tensions rose sharply on Saturday when four Israeli soldiers patrolling the Israel-Gaza border were wounded. Israel responded with tank fire and air strikes and killed six Palestinians, including four civilians, and at least 40 have been wounded.

The Israeli military said Palestinians had fired 12 rockets on Monday, and some 119 had been launched since Saturday.

A Palestinian official, who declined to be named, said Egypt had been trying to broker a ceasefire and although no formal truce was in place, Hamas understood the need for calm.

Monday's rocket launches were claimed by smaller groups, including a radical Salafi organisation that rejects Hamas's authority.

Israel has shown little appetite for a new Gaza war, which could strain relations with the new Islamist-rooted government in neighbouring Egypt. The countries made peace in 1979.

But Netanyahu may be reluctant to seem weak ahead of a January 22 election that opinion polls currently predict he will win.

(Additional reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza. Writing by Ori Lewis; editing by Christopher Wilson)